Derech Chochma: The Yeshiva Education Network
One of Know Idea’s partners is Derech Chochma: The Yeshiva Education Network. Derech Chochma is a grassroots network that is dedicated to creating excellence in yeshivas. Derech Chochma works with yeshivas and yeshiva elementary schools to provide students, teachers, parents and administrators with educational resources and tools to raise the standards of a yeshiva education.
The needs of the yeshiva students, parents, teachers and administrators within Derech Chochma are relatively simple. They need a high school that:
– Starts after 2:30 PM (Yeshivas learn Torah in the mornings)
– Single sex (e.g. not coeducational)
– Has a “clean” school environment (e.g. “clean” books, no profanity, etc.)
– Coordinates the school calendar to a Jewish Calendar (e.g. no school on Shabbas, holidays, etc.)
– And, is generally sensitive to the other unique needs of these religious Jews
Know Idea works directly with Derech Chochma to fulfill each of these needs. Know Idea works in tandem with the Derech Chochma yeshivas. Like usual, students attend the relevant yeshiva in the morning. And, in the afternoon, the students become fully matriculating students within a customized, local Know Idea charter school. And, like the students in other Know Idea charter schools, the yeshiva students receive a top-quality, free education.
THE DERECH CHOCHMA ADVISORY BOARD
Rabbi Emanuel Gettinger
While Derech Chochma is a grassroots network, our organization is spearheaded by Rabbi Emanuel Gettinger, shlitah. Like many rabbis, teachers, administrators, parents and students, Rabbi Gettinger believes that there is the potential to improve the sacred and secular studies within our Yeshivas. All operations of Derech Chochma are under the supervision of Rabbi Gettinger. Besides being involved with Derech Chochma, Rabbi Gettinger is the president of Ezras Torah, the Rabbi of Young Israel of the West Side and formerly the Rosh Yeshiva of the Yeshiva of New Haven.
THE DERECH CHOCHMA GRASSROOTS NETWORK
The grassroots network of people that drive Derech Chochma is geographically, demographically and psychographically diverse. This diversity in thought and experience coupled with Derech Chochma’s singular vision, creating excellence in yeshivas, is one of Derech Chochma’s greatest assets. You can see a random sampling of some of the people that are actively involved with Derech Chochma directly below. If you would like to be added to our e-mail list and stay updated with relation to our projects as well as upcoming e-meetings, teleconferences and more, please send us this blank e-mail.
– Management Consultant and Experienced Yeshiva Parent and Board Member in the Washington DC area
– Princeton University Graduate and Currently a Law School Student in Kew Gardens Hills, NY
– Kollel/Outreach Rabbi in Savannah, GA and Participant in Education Committee for Savannah Jewish Federation
– Doctoral Candidate in Clinical Neuropsychology and Father of Three in Atlanta
– Attorney and Father of Three in Atlanta
– Rabbi and Father of Ten on the West Coast.
– Rabbi of Hebrew Orthodox Congregation and Rosh Hayeshiva of the Rabbi Naftali Riff Yeshiva in South Bend, Indiana
– MBA, Entrepreneur and Educationally-Obsessed Parent in Silver Spring, MD
– Software Engineer, MBA and Father of Six in Baltimore
– CFO of a Kosher Catering Company in Baltimore, Father to Six Children and Grandfather to Twenty One Grandchildren
– Mother of two boys in Yeshiva Tiferes Yisroel in Brooklyn
– Father, Member of Board of Directors at Yeshiva Tiferes Yisroel in Brooklyn and Special Counsel at Stroock & Stroock & Lavan Specializing in Trusts & Estates and Exempt Organizations
– Actuary and Father of Four in Chicago
– English professor at Yeshiva University, Journalist and Documentary Film Producer
– Husband and Father in Milwaukee, WI, Lawyer Working in Tax Publishing and Officer of a K-8 Yeshiva
and many more people with an interest in creating excellence in our yeshivas.