Progressive Ideology

The odds are excellent that you will leave this forum hating someone.

Re: Progressive Ideology

Postby runrussellrun » Thu Nov 08, 2018 5:57 pm

Trump clearing said "you're done" and moved onto another reporter. Jim CNN just wouldn't shut up. He wasn't asking a question, he was making a statement, op-ed. Even after the mic was gone, Jim CNN stood back up....and wouldn't shut up.

A more appropriate question would be (regarding sending active duty troops to the border)

"Historically, we have used our Active Duty troops to help support disaster relief efforts, not for military action. The national guard also, to enforce our Federal laws. Kent St. Little rock, etc. Shouldn't we continue to use private contractors to secure our borders instead of our full time troops, needed overseas to protect us? Private contractors protect our US Service academies, top secret research facilities, etc. "

We spend lots of money protecting OTHER countries borders, but Jim CNN thinks we shouldn't "protect" our own? insanity
runrussellrun

Postby runrussellrun » Thu Nov 08, 2018 6:01 pm

DMac wrote:
a fan wrote
And as a guest, you pull the dishes out of the kitchen sink before you pee in it, right? ;)

I actually think this depends on how late in the evening it is.

Agree, t'smell he did, by definition, touch her.
The definition of touched has gone up on the intensity list now...accosted, assaulted. A gift for the media to feed its frenzied viewers with. Whole incident doesn't amount to any more than your 12 year old sister grabbing for your box of Goobers in the back seat of the car, and you pull them away and block her arm. Next, you get tagged by the old man for assaulting her.

Another mountain being built from a molehill. The whole show, from the Prez to the media whores, is out of control.

notice all the outrage and news coverage of trump signing the hugest bigleist spending bill in MAGA history during the smoke screen of the Kav hearings?

Me neither. Dr. Ford gone to the Montgomery police station yet?
runrussellrun

Postby DMac » Thu Nov 08, 2018 6:13 pm

runrussellrun wrote

Trump clearing said "you're done" and moved onto another reporter. Jim CNN just wouldn't shut up. He wasn't asking a question, he was making a statement, op-ed. Even after the mic was gone, Jim CNN stood back up....and wouldn't shut up.

A more appropriate question would be (regarding sending active duty troops to the border)

"Historically, we have used our Active Duty troops to help support disaster relief efforts, not for military action. The national guard also, to enforce our Federal laws. Kent St. Little rock, etc. Shouldn't we continue to use private contractors to secure our borders instead of our full time troops, needed overseas to protect us? Private contractors protect our US Service academies, top secret research facilities, etc. "

We spend lots of money protecting OTHER countries borders, but Jim CNN thinks we shouldn't "protect" our own? insanity.

Right, and the whole incident amounts to nothing more than adults behaving like children. Naturally, one of the children always has to have his way, and the last word. Kinda like our Prez.

Jim's question was received with "Here we go", and the eye roll, half way (not even) through the question...Prez Nutcase was having nothing to do with him from the beginning...then of course he had to let the other reporter know that he was/is a pos too. Classy guy, that Prez....smoooove.

What makes you think Jim doesn't think we need to protect our borders?
DMac

Postby jhu72 » Thu Nov 08, 2018 6:50 pm

The Orange Turd was looking for a fight from the very beginning of the press conference. :roll:
jhu72

Postby MDlaxfan76 » Thu Nov 08, 2018 7:00 pm

thatsmell wrote:
MDlaxfan76 wrote:
thatsmell wrote:1:28 is the incident in question.
And as far as I understannd, this CSPAN version is undoctored, unlike the version Huckabee provided that slowed down the intern's grab for the mic and sped up acosta's chopping motion.

Thanks, I saw it live. It's an absolutely phony claim that Acosta did anything physical to the intern. She grabs for the mike, grabbing his hand instead and he simply holds onto the mike for a heartbeat saying "excuse me, ma'am". His motion with his left hand is not directed at her and he never comes close to touching her.

But no surprise, my brother-in-law the Trump supporter last night was convinced that Acosta had "assaulted" the woman.

He doesn’t touch her? Perhaps my eyes are bad, but it looks to me like his left hand does make contact with her biceps.

Watched it again.
You're correct, he does make contact. But hardly anything more than press down. Certainly not physically violent in any sense of the words.
Saying otherwise is BS.
MDlaxfan76

Postby get it to x » Thu Nov 08, 2018 7:36 pm

This is what journalism schools have done to journalism. All advocacy, all the time. It's no wonder. Almost all of the talking heads or Sunday News show hosts are ex dem staffers. Chuck Todd was also an anti-gun activist. Even Chris Wallace at Fox would not be considered a mainstream conservative. Progs have the media, Hollywood and the education system. Its a wonder a Republican can get elected dog catcher.
get it to x

Postby DMac » Thu Nov 08, 2018 8:13 pm

They managed to get their big dog in the oval office. A growling, slobbering mutt, but in the oval office nonetheless.
DMac

Postby a fan » Thu Nov 08, 2018 8:24 pm

get it to x wrote:This is what journalism schools have done to journalism. All advocacy, all the time. It's no wonder. Almost all of the talking heads or Sunday News show hosts are ex dem staffers. Chuck Todd was also an anti-gun activist. Even Chris Wallace at Fox would not be considered a mainstream conservative. Progs have the media, Hollywood and the education system. Its a wonder a Republican can get elected dog catcher.

Anyone who isn't a conservative is a progressive? I'm sorry, but that's incorrect. Our nation is filled from sea to shining sea with moderates. Just because they're to the left of you on some issues, doesn't put them on the left. It puts them in the middle.

And while we're at it, and we're discussing the Trump press conference: how do you figure that Trump and/or the 2018 Republican party are conservatives?
a fan

Postby MDlaxfan76 » Thu Nov 08, 2018 10:38 pm

get it to x wrote:This is what journalism schools have done to journalism. All advocacy, all the time. It's no wonder. Almost all of the talking heads or Sunday News show hosts are ex dem staffers. Chuck Todd was also an anti-gun activist. Even Chris Wallace at Fox would not be considered a mainstream conservative. Progs have the media, Hollywood and the education system. Its a wonder a Republican can get elected dog catcher.

This is a really interesting mythology that some have bought into, that there was some prior golden age in which the media, the free press, weren't about "advocacy". Historically speaking, that's a bunch of hooey.

The free press has always had (200+ years of America) a strong editorial flavor through which specific news stories were covered, and how they were covered, were influenced by the owner's personal perspective and politics. Major power centers in competition for readership.

The 'exception,' if we can even call it such, was the nascent, highly censored, TV news coverage of 3 national channels. Packing the critical news of the day into just a half hour, or at most hour, meant that there was very little room for commentary...just a rush to get it all out. This produced near identical news coverage, but also coverage that was very incomplete. That was a relatively temporary reality, as technology would inevitably change.

But in parallel, radio was already dividing into specific editorial positions, with long form talk radio broadcasts. And, newspapers were always heavily influenced by their editors. So, even during the 3 TV channel period, most news was still coming through newspaper coverage as it was far more in-depth. TV, though, had the advantage of a much more visual medium, and those pictures proved to have serious power.

Journalism schools and disciplines, ethics codes, etc grew out a concern for creating a standard of professionalism that looked to ensure that the rights of a free press would be defensible as a public good, understanding that not doing so would leave the Fourth Estate vulnerable. They emphasized the responsibility of journalists to discover and to tell the truth and to confront those in power, holding them accountable for their words and actions. Of course, this naturally puts the journalist in conflict with those in power.

What authoritarians the world over, left and right, find so troubling about a free press is that the public's understanding of truth is not controlled solely by the autocrat. Which is why they intimidate the press during their early days, and ultimately ban any press not supportive of them. During those early days of the rise of the authoritarian, journalists are moved from less access to no access to fear for their lives, for the lives of their families.

If we understand this dynamic, the free press is expected to be at times in conflict with those in power, demanding answers to the questions that the public has every right to know (at least under the US Constitution). And that means standing up when those in power attempt to avoid direct questions, don't tell the truth, or attempt bullying tactics. Frankly, that's we want them to do.

Where we need to challenge the press is not their challenging of those in power, coming across as advocates for views in opposition with those in power, but rather if/when the journalists fail in their own professional standards to seek and tell the truth. We should expect media that wishes to maintain its credibility to hold their own to these professional standards, to discipline those who fail in these standards, and to openly correct the record when it's called for.

But expecting journalists to just politely sit down or not ask challenging questions that make those in power uncomfortable, is exactly playing into the hands of the authoritarians. Good by a key aspect of the US Constitution so necessary to a functioning democracy, a well-informed, accurately informed, electorate.
MDlaxfan76

Postby holmes435 » Thu Nov 08, 2018 11:04 pm

Politicians answer to the people.

Not the other way around.
holmes435

Postby runrussellrun » Fri Nov 09, 2018 10:53 am

Politicians answer to YOUR people. (Corporations are people, remember ? )

Would you send your children to a school or camp with a 1 to 750,000 teacher/coach to student/camper ratio?

Heck, you can add the 15-25 staffers that members of the house of Reps. get, and it's still a lousy ratio.

1 staffer for every 30,000 residents. Funny, our founders said something about that ratio. Only problem is, STAFF aint' elected.

Good luck trying to have a meeting with your Senator, Congress or anyone in the White House. Go ahead, give it a try holmes and get back to us.
runrussellrun

Press is Enemy of the People

Postby get it to x » Fri Nov 09, 2018 2:34 pm

holmes435 wrote:Politicians answer to the people.

Really? Maybe on election day. Between elections the press is supposed to be a window into the government. Once we are given information we can then make our own decisions. We can also consult the editorial pages if we value their opinions. My complaint is there is very little straight news these days. No matter where it comes from it's almost always filtered through a partisan lens about whether to report something and how it will be reported.

Here is what the prior administration (Anita Dunn) had to day about Fox News as it relates to President Obama not appearing on Fox News Sunday. I don't remember the rest of the media leaping to their feet to defend Fox News:

“We’re going to treat them the way we would treat an opponent,” Dunn told the Times. “As they are undertaking a war against Barack Obama and the White House, we don’t need to pretend that this is the way that legitimate news organizations behave.”

I would say "war" is a bit hyperbolic, just as much as "enemy of the people", which I think actually undercuts Trump's argument.

I am sure you were all dismayed when Obama called Fox News “destructive for the long-term growth of a country that has a vibrant middle class.” Ask James Rosen or the AP reporters how they feel about surveillance by the Executive Branch.

The only real difference is Obama's terms are a little more "high falootin". Trump is at least smart enough to converse in terms almost all Americans can understand.
get it to x

Re: Press is Enemy of the People

Postby Typical Lax Dad » Fri Nov 09, 2018 3:36 pm

get it to x wrote:

Really? Maybe on election day. Between elections the press is supposed to be a window into the government. Once we are given information we can then make our own decisions. We can also consult the editorial pages if we value their opinions. My complaint is there is very little straight news these days. No matter where it comes from it's almost always filtered through a partisan lens about whether to report something and how it will be reported.

Here is what the prior administration (Anita Dunn) had to day about Fox News as it relates to President Obama not appearing on Fox News Sunday. I don't remember the rest of the media leaping to their feet to defend Fox News:

“We’re going to treat them the way we would treat an opponent,” Dunn told the Times. “As they are undertaking a war against Barack Obama and the White House, we don’t need to pretend that this is the way that legitimate news organizations behave.

I would say "war" is a bit hyperbolic, just as much as "enemy of the people", which I think actually undercuts Trump's argument.

I am sure you were all dismayed when Obama called Fox News “destructive for the long-term growth of a country that has a vibrant middle class.” Ask James Rosen or the AP reporters how they feel about surveillance by the Executive Branch.

The only real difference is Obama's terms are a little more "high falootin". Trump is at least smart enough to converse in terms almost all Americans can understand.

Murdoch's hunger for power is a looming threat to democracy

This wasn't written by a Hillary sore loser......
Typical Lax Dad

Postby get it to x » Fri Nov 09, 2018 6:41 pm

Typical Lax Dad wrote:
get it to x wrote:

“We’re going to treat them the way we would treat an opponent,” Dunn told the Times. “As they are undertaking a war against Barack Obama and the White House, we don’t need to pretend that this is the way that legitimate news organizations behave.

Be patient. If the boys take over that ship will tack to port.
get it to x

Postby MDlaxfan76 » Fri Nov 09, 2018 7:25 pm

get it to x wrote:

“We’re going to treat them the way we would treat an opponent,” Dunn told the Times. “As they are undertaking a war against Barack Obama and the White House, we don’t need to pretend that this is the way that legitimate news organizations behave.”

Actually, If I recall correctly, most of us thought Obama went too far, regardless of whether the Fox organization indeed was becoming a propaganda arm of the GOP. Most of us indeed said so. And some ripped him. It certainly wasn't ignored.

But are you really comparing Obama's slipping into that territory a couple of times with what Trump is doing daily, every day, ramping up higher and higher?
Nah, the tape of Acosta wasn't 'doctored'...hoo boy.
MDlaxfan76

Postby seacoaster » Sat Nov 10, 2018 6:44 am

"But are you really comparing Obama's slipping into that territory a couple of times with what Trump is doing daily, every day, ramping up higher and higher?"

Right: a couple of times in 8 years. There is no point of or basis for comparison. To my knowledge, Obama never told any reporter that their question was stupid; and never characterized the media as the enemy of the people; or demanded "respect" in exchange for credentials. The Apologists for Trump never fail to exceed expectations on this board.
seacoaster

Postby runrussellrun » Sat Nov 10, 2018 10:15 am

Typical Lax Dad wrote:
get it to x wrote:

Remember reading last week that the Federal Govt. was pretending to be mad that Murdoch was buying up TV stations, well over the 25% allowed by Foreign owners. Ah, shucks, the Feds just decided to give Fox/Murdoch a waiver. What the heck. We have LAWS....then agencies (FCC, FTC, EEOC, SEC, etc. ) just do whatever they want? Fox/Murdoch has been getting waivers since the late 80's.

https://www.csmonitor.com/1995/0728/28014.html

Murdoch, who is scheduled to testify before the House Ethics Committee on Tuesday about his publishing company offering House Speaker Newt Gingrich a $4.5 million book advance, was not available for comment.

It's all right there. The forest. Unless Harvard keeps chopping their forests down icon_puke

How oh HOW did Murdoch become a US citizen.....so friggin fast? :roll:
runrussellrun

Postby Typical Lax Dad » Sat Nov 10, 2018 10:25 am

runrussellrun wrote:
Typical Lax Dad wrote:
get it to x wrote:

Remember reading last week that the Federal Govt. was pretending to be mad that Murdoch was buying up TV stations, well over the 25% allowed by Foreign owners. Ah, shucks, the Feds just decided to give Fox/Murdoch a waiver. What the heck. We have LAWS....then agencies (FCC, FTC, EEOC, SEC, etc. ) just do whatever they want? Fox/Murdoch has been getting waivers since the late 80's.

https://www.csmonitor.com/1995/0728/28014.html

Murdoch, who is scheduled to testify before the House Ethics Committee on Tuesday about his publishing company offering House Speaker Newt Gingrich a $4.5 million book advance, was not available for comment.

It's all right there. The forest. Unless Harvard keeps chopping their forests down icon_puke

How oh HOW did Murdoch become a US citizen.....so friggin fast? :roll:

Yep.
Typical Lax Dad

Postby dislaxxic » Tue Nov 13, 2018 9:22 am

Forget Pelosi. Challenge Hoyer.

"It would be folly to dislodge the once and future speaker. If they want fresh blood in party leadership, Democrats should replace her deputy instead."

"The purpose of writing is to inflate weak ideas, obscure poor reasoning, and inhibit clarity. With a little practice, writing can be an intimidating and impenetrable fog." - Calvin, to Hobbes
dislaxxic

Postby Brooklyn » Tue Nov 13, 2018 10:06 am

jhu72 wrote:The Orange Turd was looking for a fight from the very beginning of the press conference. :roll:

He was hoping his fellow right wingers would employ Jeff Gannon again to give him cream puff questions in order to make him look good.
It has been proven a hundred times that the surest way to the heart of any man, black or white, honest or dishonest, is through justice and fairness.

~ Charles Francis "Socker" Coe ~
Brooklyn

PreviousNext

Return to POLITICS